Talented international students with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcomed to apply for this scholarship and further their studies in any selected and well-established Malaysian public and private universities. Below are some of available scholarships for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
MALAYSIAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP
The Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) is an initiative by the Malaysian Government to attract the best brain from around the world to pursue advanced academic studies in Malaysia. This scholarship aims to support Malaysian Government’s effort to attract, motivate and retain talented human capital from abroad.This scholarship is divided into two (2) categories of study: Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Studies.
To be eligible for Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), applicants must fit the following criteria:-
- Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Master’s Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Master’s degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only)
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
Note that: There are some internal fundings by each university for their students especially the postgraduate research students, though this is at discretion of your supervisor. For example:
University Malaysia Perils (UNIMAP) provides the following fund for their post graduate students:
- POSTGRADUATE ADMINISTRATION & LABORATORY ACTIVITIES FUND (PALAF): Which is a sum of hundred and fifty ringgit Malaysia per semester (RM150).
- POSTGRADUATE ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES FUND (PAAF): All active PhD and MSc student in UniMAP is eligible to apply for maximum of RM500.00 annually for their academic activities.
- GRADUATE ASSISTANCE (GT): A sum of RM1500 monthly for master student and RM2600 for PhD student which is strictly at discretion of supervisor.
University Technology Malaysia (UTM)
- UTM National Postgraduate Fund: This Fund provides tuition waivers in the sponsored semester for Malaysian Doctoral (exclude Pesisir & Special Programme) or Master’s in Research, Mixed-mode, and Taught Course (exclude Pesisir & Special Programme) students.
- International Doctoral Fellowship: This Fund provides partial tuition waivers amount RM3, 000.00 in the sponsored semester for International Doctoral student.
- Doctoral Research Grant: The Doctoral Research Grant is open to all doctoral research students via Supervisor’s allocation. Each student is entitle for a max of RM500.00 for this grant. Supervisor will need to apply for this grant and subject to SPS approval.
- Islamic development bank
- Malaysian technical cooperation program
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
University Utara Malaysia (UUM)
Postgraduate Incentive Grant
The grant is also to promote mutual engagement between supervisors and students in the presentation of papers and publications. Qualifications are determined by the Graduate School of each College.
Qualifications are determined by the Graduate School of each College. A sum of RM 10,000 per PhD student and RM5000 for each Master of Education with a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA).